To summarize, our ideas so far on how to store and export content with
ML when there's an existing precedent (e.g. a standard schema) for the
sort of data you're working with:

Alternative strategies:

(1) Transform the standard XML as part of the loading process so that
it is convenient and efficient to query and search.  For compatibility
with external systems, have a transformation/export process.  This can
be done in different ways:
  a. At load time, move the document's content into a top-level
container node, <standard-xml>, to store the original structure.  Add
to this a sibling container node, <internal-xml>, to store the
structure that has been transformed for convenience.  On export,
simply remove <internal-xml> and restore the standard structure.
  b. At load time, store only the transformed document.  On export,
apply a reverse transformation back to the standard.

(2) Work around the difficulties, performing multiple searches if
necessary and dealing with extra complexities in indexing.

Evidently, the choice (between these two main alternatives, anyway)
depends on how many difficulties (2) would entail.  I suppose it boils
down to a comparison of two costs: the cost of the import/export
transformation process vs. the cost associated with handling a
particular standard structure in ML.

Thanks to everyone for examples and ideas!
Karl