I also checked this earlier today and couldn't reproduce the problem.

I always suspect possible whitespace issues when a string equality test
doesn't produce expected results. If 'Radiology & Ultrasound'
contains any newlines in the data file, or if an apparent ASCII space is
something else (nonbreaking space for example), the equality test will
return false.

On Fri, 4 Dec 2009, Michael Blakeley wrote:

> I tried to reproduce this with 4.1-3 (linux x86-64) and didn't see a problem.
> Here's my test case:
>
> xquery version "1.0-ml";
> xdmp:document-insert(
>   '/data/store/items/test',
> <root>
>   <item type="title">Radiology &amp; Ultrasound</item>
> </root>
> )
> => ()
>
> xquery version "1.0-ml";
> xdmp:directory('/data/store/items/', 'infinity')
>   //it...@type='title'][. = 'Radiology &amp; Ultrasound']
> =>
> <item type="title">Radiology &amp; Ultrasound</item>
>
> That's exactly what I'd expect to see. So I don't think the problem is due to
> ampersand handling in the broadest sense, but there might be something
> narrower going on. Perhaps you can try this test case yourself, and narrow
> down on the difference between it and what you have observed?
>
> -- Mike
>
> On 2009-12-04 00:41, Baranov, Ivan - Moscow wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I’ve encountered a problem while moving from 3.2 to 4.1. It seems like
> > XQuery dialect 1.0-ml is handling ampersand slightly different from 0.9-ml.
> >
> > Suppose I have the file:
> >
> > <root>
> >                  <item type=”title”>Radiology&amp; Ultrasound</item>
> > </root>
> >
> > Located in /data/store/items/
> >
> > I am writing a simple query just to illustrate the problem:
> >
> > xdmp:directory(“/data/store/items/”, “infinity”)//it...@type=’title’][. =
> > ‘Radiology&amp; Ultrasound’]
> >
> > Under 3.2 it returns me the<item>  node. Great! But under 4.1 I just get the
> > empty sequence (replacing&amp; with&#38; gives no effect). So could anyone
> > please suggest another idea of matching ampersand-containing strings in 4.1
> > environment?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Van

PO Box 801079, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4318 USA
Email: dsew...@virginia.edu   Tel: +1 434 924 9973