// p[starts-with(ref:anchor/@id, "para_")]/text[fn:contains( "sometext",  .)]

Keith L. Breinholt
breinhol...@ldschurch.org<mailto:breinhol...@ldschurch.org>

From: general-boun...@developer.marklogic.com
[mailto:general-boun...@developer.marklogic.com] On Behalf Of Steiner, David J.
(LNG-DAY)
Sent: Thursday, March 25, 2010 1:21 PM
To: general@developer.marklogic.com
Subject: [MarkLogic Dev General] search:search options constraints

I have an XML structure like this:

                                <ref:anchor id="para_2" xmlns:ref="namespace2"/>

                                <text>This is a bunch of text that I want to
search.</text>

I want to search for words (multiple terms: word1 AND word2 AND word3) in the
<text> element of the <p> elements where the <ref:anchor>@id starts with the
string "para_".

<text> elements appear elsewhere and <p> elements do to...  and there are other
types of id values, such as "subpara_..."

I'm trying to use search:search and I see how to constrain to a specific
element or attribute (or collection, etc.), but how do you do more complex
things - i.e., constrain to a specific element under a specific parent where a
sibling's attribute starts with a particular string?

Hopefully I've been clear - the XPath of the element I want to search: //
p[starts-with(ref:anchor/@id, "para_")]/text

Thanks,
David Steiner
Consulting Research Scientist