The XQDT Eclipse plug-in also has code completion for MarkLogic
extension functions (and it's pretty speedy at that).

From: general-boun...@developer.marklogic.com
[mailto:general-boun...@developer.marklogic.com] On Behalf Of Keith L.
Breinholt
Sent: Wednesday, October 20, 2010 12:30 PM
To: General Mark Logic Developer Discussion
Subject: Re: [MarkLogic Dev General] Getting started wtih MarkLogic

I'll throw my two cents in.

Editors:

Personally, I use Oxygen for all the same reasons David mentioned.  It
also supports XSLT and XML Diff and Merge. If you intend to use C# or
C++ for your frontend and make XCC calls to MarkLogic for your
XML/XQuery, Oxygen is a good fit for your needs and environment.  Please
note: You need the Oxygen's Enterprise license to enable debugging
capabilities.

Notepad++ is also popular with several of our developers.  It has syntax
highlighting and you can switch seamlessly to C++ or C# code but it
doesn't have debugger support ... and it's free.

Speaking of Free; Sam Neth has been adding XQuery support to Eclipse so
you have all the syntax highlighting for XQuery, C#, C++  and it's all
free.  I believe debugging capability is in the works as well.

Unit testing:

We've written several in-house and modified other Unit test platforms to
make XCC calls for unit testing. If you have a unit test platform you
are familiar with my suggestion is to see what it would take to extend
it to make XCC calls to MarkLogic.  I am not familiar with TDD or
SP_Unit but most frameworks are easily extendable to call other code
(they call unit tests right?) and you can create your own wrapper to
make XCC/XQuery calls.

Robert: " Ideally we would like something that would integrate with
Visual Studio, since that is what we will probably be using for the
front end."

Yeah, adding MarkLogic/XQuery support to Visual Studio is on my list
too.  Using the XCC library from Visual Studio is simple enough, but
adding XQuery syntax highlighting and debugging...

Keith

breinhol...@ldschurch.org