My guess is you have a document with a uri say like
                /a/b/c.xml

But there is no actual 'directory' object    /a/b

This took me a long while to grok while starting with ML (but of course its so
obvious now I don't think of it :)

MarkLogic doesn't require directory objects, and in many cases works much
better without them.
Check your settings on your database to see if Directories are automatically
created. If not you probably just have a perfectly valid document which 'just
by happenstance' and mistaken assumptions looks like it should be in a
'directory' ...
But unlike file systems,  ML doesn't need directories to create hieratical
looking URI's.

David A. Lee
Senior Principal Software Engineer
Epocrates, Inc.