With the default setting you shouldn't have to worry about escaping single
quotes. Search is flexible in that with the search:options element you can
pass options that modify the grammar. Unfortunately/fortunately, depending
of your view of things, the parser doesn't accommodate the use of regular
expression patterns in the grammar, so I don't think there is a simple
solution.

Your best bet may be to do your own parsing to create a cts:query and use
search:resolve. This isn't an ideal solution. When I have time I'd like to
look into it further.

-Ryan Dew