On 26 Jun 2012, at 13:52 , Alex Milowski wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 1:40 PM, Michael Blakeley <m...@blakeley.com> wrote:
>> Are you only looking at the forests summary? The forest status screen should
>> show full reindexing status, along with other details. Is that "reindexing"
>> text a link? If so, click on it.
>>
>> If that doesn't help, maybe take a screenshot of the forest status you are
>> looking at?
>
> The forest status page doesn't return.  The browser just hangs out
> until something times out.

That is decidedly abnormal. I have seen a few systems where database-status was
slow and would time out during reindexing, but forest-status should not.
Admittedly I don't do much with geospatial, so this might be a
geospatial-specific bug.

But my hunch is that the OS is overloaded, so I would start by checking the OS
status: top and iostat, on linux or Solaris. The OS may be out of RAM and
swapping, or possibly reindexing puts too much demand on the available disk I/O
capacity. Either way, I suspect that your database has outgrown the hardware.

-- Mike