I think Mike answered in this case. exists(doc) is the same as
fn:exists(doc) unless you mess with the default function namespace.  Or
maybe I'm seeing the emails out of order...

Now how to find out generically which functions lock for read... I don't
know for sure, but in this case the documentation suggests that xdmp:exists
only requires a "partial search" or something like that, which may be a
clue.