I am in the early design stages of a (hopefully) large application and
would like to see if I understand the operations of collections correctly.

You can think of this in a similar context to a social media app.
I have attached a simple diagram to aid the text.

Imagine that Joe, Sue and Tom are users and each have a collection (marked
'P' )where only they have read/write access to documents they load.
Joe and Tom have collections that they would like to use to share (read
only) with various other users, one being Sue.  This seems rather straight
forward.
However, the use case also calls for Sue being able to share (read only)
Tom's documents with Joe and Joe's documents with Tom; as she sees fit
without the intervention of Tom or Joe.

Could someone expand on this to describe how this might be setup?  Do I
need separate roles that are tied to each collection, for each of these
exchanges?

Thanks,
Tim