Hi,

If you want to search for an element containing a particular string
value, you can use cts:element-value-query, and this requires no extra
indexing.  Element string values are also automatically indexed.
Inside MarkLogic Server is great for overall technical info like this:
 https://developer.marklogic.com/inside-marklogic.

You'd likely use a range index if you want to compare values (less
than, greater than), or return values (all string values for a certain
element), or return counts for values.

And, as Raja says, a more specific question can get a more specific answer.

=Chris