I've done something similar to what Florent suggests in the past with the
Java flying saucer Library (XML or XHTML + CSS2 = PDF).

I think no matter how you wrap it up and what the details are, its the same
pattern used over and over with MarkLogic for external functionality -
create an HTTP service in the language of your choice to do the thing you
want done and post to that service.

Kind Regards,
David Ennis