Interesting article, although It is 4 years old and seems to reference observed
behavior rather then defined behavior.
The Query processor core is continually being improved so YMMV.

Your question asked about 'documents being loaded into memory'   This may or
may not be related to 'stream abilityΩIf your Xquery code and database indexing
configurations can be resolved using indexes only then the document may not
need to be loaded into memory at all.  For queries that cross-cut across many
documents, achieving high constant performance is achievable by structuring
your queries such that they can be resolved completely from indexes.  There is
a key design concept for MarkLogic.
The various users guide go into great detail regarding approaches to achieve
this.

Achieving 'streaming' is a different issue  (and depend on what you mean by
'stream' exactly).  For example it is possible to 'stream' large binary
documents out of ML
https://docs.marklogic.com/guide/app-dev/binaries

In this sense, 'stream' is the sense of 'video streaming' ... Results exiting
the server without having to have read to the end of the document.
For Query operations that’s not the kind of 'streaming' the article refers to.
Rather its revering to minimizing the need for the server to fully evaluate
each expressions before 'handing' it to then next.
In general all Xquery operations are potentially 'streamable' in this sense.
For more consistent and defined behavior use of the ML specific functions are
recommend, they are designed specifically for making optimal use of ML
features, and are easier for the Xquery processor to optimize and recognize
then 'pure' Xquery.

On 3/8/16, 7:23 AM, "general-boun...@developer.marklogic.com on behalf of
Christopher Hamlin" <general-boun...@developer.marklogic.com on behalf of