Have you looked at using a transform?  Here's an example from the
docs<https://docs.marklogic.com/guide/mlcp/import#id_17589> that converts from
binary to XML, so I'm guessing you can convert from XML to JSON.

Sam Mefford
Senior Engineer
MarkLogic Corporation
sam.meff...@marklogic.com<mailto:sam.meff...@marklogic.com>
Cell: +1 801 706 9731
www.marklogic.com<http://www.marklogic.com>

This e-mail and any accompanying attachments are confidential. The information
is intended
solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any review,
disclosure, copying,
distribution, or use of this e-mail communication by others is strictly
prohibited. If you
are not the intended recipient, please notify us immediately by returning this
message to
the sender and delete all copies. Thank you for your cooperation.