First, why are you working with "stand-alone [un-sic.] properties documents"?
Could your implementation be simplified by storing the properties in their own
documents? There's no real advantage to a properties fragment, other than being
able to access it with the same URI as its related document. Accessing the
contents still requires a join between two fragments, just like with two
separate documents.

In your particular case, you should be able to remove the properties fragment
with, xdmp:node-delete(xdmp:document-properties($uri)).

Justin