Thanks, Geert.

In the release notes I've found the following statement (
https://docs.marklogic.com/guide/relnotes/chap3#id_45632):
*Storing the axes times in metadata enables MarkLogic to update the axes
timestamps without changing the documents and invoking reindexing.*
To me it seems that the metadata is connected to the fragment but stored
somehow differently. Do you know any more details?

Cheers,
Andreas