On 14 August 2017 at 20:30, Eliot Kimber wrote:

Hi Eliot,

> Returns 21219, making it clear that the range index is returning
> distinct values, not all values. It makes sense in terms of how I
> would expect a range index to be structured (a one-to-many mapping
> for values to elements) but doesn’t make sense as the return for a
> function named “element-values” (and not element-distinct-values).

The doc of cts:element-values [1] says that it "Returns values from
the specified element value lexicon(s)."  That is, the various,
different values appearing in that element.  I am not saying it is
necessarily intuitive, but at least it is consitent with all usages of
cts:*-values functions.

The chapter 10 of the Search Guide [2] contains all the details,
including those about cts:frquency, which I believe is what you are
after here.

Regards,

[1] http://docs.marklogic.com/cts:element-values
[2] http://docs.marklogic.com/guide/search-dev/lexicon