Stefan

Good topic, thanks for raising it, it is time.

> Gump is an incredible idea and has no equivalent thing anywhere else.
> Still, it requires lots of energy from the gumpmaisters to keep it
running.
> [...]
>    Gump social maintenance costs are still too high on the gumpmaisters
> and not well distributed horizontally across the various projects.

Stefano, I concur with your observations, and like your proposals, but I
think we (as a group) keep overlooking one main thing. Gump is a social
experiment but we keep using the techie's golden hammer -- more
technology -- to try to solve it. Making things easier for users who don't
care about what we do is just going to make it easier for them not to care.
;-)

We have a social experiment, yet we've (so far) failed to exercise the
social options. The Gump team know OSS, they know (as good as anybody) what
drives folks, what motivates, what inspires. Even though we accept that
nobody can engineer this, we can attempt to leverage it & work with it.

Right after I posted to commons-dev about Gump, and it's aspirations to
judging health, we had one gentleman go to the trouble of digging out the
algorythm for FOG from Gumpy CVS, evaluating it, and submitting a JIRA entry
(which I agree with, BTW). That is effort, that is motivation. The loss of
"team pride" (maybe) of having their FOG factor halved was a motivator.

I think Gump needs to get out there, go in-your-face public. Now that we are
TLP we have a forum to get messages out (gump.apache.org) but we need to
acquire traffic & work with existing public forums. We ought use community@
[or similar] and Peas-n-Carrots (& Planet Apache). I'm no marketeer, but I
think we need to market Gump results -- not market Gump [although that might
come], but the results. Some [RT] style ideas:

- We need to post (weekly?) to community@ the top FOGs, top improvers and
bottom FOGs. We need to be public about which projects are strong, which are
upcoming, and which are failing w/o attention. It is fine to generate a WWW
site of results, as we do, but we need to live-and-breath those results,
make them reach out and touch people.

- We need to get to a point where Gump is the first place somebody comes in
order to determine if they wish to use a new product/package. A conversation
around "why would we introduce a product with a FOG of 0.1 when we are at
1.5?" ought be common.

- We need to make FOG (or Gump score, whatever) an active thing. Perhaps
PMCs ought evaluate FOG before allowing a project out of sandbox, out of
incubation. [Note this is *RT*, not proposal].

- I think we need a nice 'I rate with Gump' icon, that dynamically links to
their score.

[Before we do, we need the numbers to really mean something, and to take
into consideration some key aspects -- depth of dependences, distance
between two projects -- some Googlesque value of 'links to' (where teams are
'rating' each other through usage/referencing.)

Gump stats are in their infancy, and not taking into consideration much of
the value of the metadata graph. I think we ought add much more to it also,
like 'friend of' (even if not a dependee). Maybe even add 'who associates
with' (an individual aspect) -- so we can follow folks we like. I could go
on and on and on ... and will w/ an [RT] sometime soon, I hope.]

Along the lines of what Stefano said, but adding a little to the social
aspect:

- Perhaps we ought copy 'affected' projects on nags, so the recipient &
those affected know who is affecting them. Nags are (right now) too
personal/private & a team can quietly sit on them. [This said, I think we
want to push the positives -- values of success -- not try nagging folks
into action.]

- Perhaps we 'nag' folks when their FOG goes up into the next level (a
positive :-) and also when it drops down to another level. Yes, as Stefano
said, we ought (occasionally) let folks know their status even if things are
status quo.

In summary -- my point is we've not explored the social solutions to the
Gumpmeister headache, and I'd love to hear other ideas on how we could
leverage that.

regards