Martin Cooper wrote:

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004, Nick Chalko wrote:

Is it premature to talk about this?
http://gump.chalko.com/gb/blog/Issues/?smm=y&permalink=Struts-Velocity.txt&preview=true

I like to keep the visibility up. but is the risk of stepping on toes to
large?

In principle, I don't mind this, but a couple of points to bear in mind:

1) The breakage happened 3 weeks and 6 days ago, but it was not until
today that a message was sent to struts-dev informing us of the problem.
We can't track all of the client projects, so if we break something,
someone needs to let us know. It would be nice if that happened rather
less than a month after the problem, because who knows what else might
have happened in the code base since that change, making it that much
harder to resolve. If the offending project is notified, and the problem
persists for some period of time after that (more than a couple of days,
but less than a month), *then* it is reasonable to go blog about it
publicly. But please don't go posting about problems that the team either
hasn't been notified of yet, or has only just heard about.

2) The wording in the blog entry is not exactly friendly, specifically the
"show them what they are doing is harmful to client projects". This sounds
like a parent scolding a naughty child. Yes, we know it's not good, but we
didn't sit around and try to come up with ways to break Velocity-Tools. It
was an accident, and we'll fix it.

You are right, the tone of the message is not helpful at all.

We must make a serious effort to show that gump is fostering communication, not blaming and pointing fingers!!

Also, let's leave the people a break and report things when they are solved not then they appear!!!

--
Stefano.