On Tue, 23 Mar 2004, Leo Simons <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> the whole build breaking last night because some lameass sourceforge
> developer doesn't know how to write gump descriptors (even if it was
> me) annoys the hell out of me. It should not be possible.

Absolutely true.  Gump shouldn't break.

Note that this is not limited to Gumpy, "traditional" Gump dies in
Jenny as well when a circular dependency has been detected - it's just
that our Gump installations went on and used the generated build.sh
and update.sh files of the night before.

> The basic cause for that happening was the use of the 'href'
> attribute to link to remote descriptors accessed via webcvs.

The basic cause was that somebody modified a descriptor without
checking whether anything got broken by the change. ;-)

href adds to this problem a lot, I agree.  If you modify a descriptor
that is in Gump's module, you can run "ant verify" before you commit
the change - this is a lot harder to do (custom profile) if your
descriptor is referenced via href.

And delays like we still see them for anoncvs at sourceforge certainly
make things worse.

On the other hand, href has some potential that we shouldn't throw
away.  The ant-contrib project has two descriptors that are more or
less maintained by me, no big deal, but take a look at the dom
testsuite descriptors.  Curt Arnold has written them.

In particular, look at the very top of the descriptor for the
copyright message and the license - this could never live in a Apache
metadata module for legal reasons.  Well, maybe it could since the
license is less restrictive than the ASL, but you get the point.  No
webapp would enable anybody to put a different license on the
descriptor, for whatever reason he/she should choose to do so.