> Just before the error - ant is reporting that it is dropping a bunch of
> phoenix references because the gump outputs are not found - and
> logically as a consequence we hit the error concerning the class not
found.

Good point. Looks like two absolute paths are being concatenated there.

> Phoenix is a packaged project - not a gumped project. Perhaps we have a
> problem with the avalon-phoenix project definition?

Hmm, if you look at this:

http://brutus.apache.org:8080/gump/james-server/james-server/details.html#Classpath

You will see the classpath settings Gump is providing, and they look
correct.

Does the build.xml attempt to calculate paths itself? Does it rely upon
properties?

regards