Adam R. B. Jack wrote:
> We run VMWare here at TrySybase, and have for a couple of years.

> We tried running a full Gump on GSX (on an 'ok' box, not great) and
> we basically brought VMWare down.

> Basiclly thought, Gump pushed GSX too hard for resources.

This might be good to test on brutus, no?

> GSX still resides on top of the operating system (like VMWAre
> Workstation does)

> Memory is the *main* thing that VMWAre go on and on and on about needing
gobs of.

Hence my inquiry to you folks about brutus.  :-)

> We moved from GSX (served us well) to ESX about 6 months ago, and that is
> truly sweet. ESX is based on a Linux Kernal and has no OS sitting between
> it and the box's hardware. Things run very very nicely

Good experience to hear.  If we were to find a similar problem with GSX on
brutus, I expect that VMware would want to know, and we could offer to try
ESX in the same configuration, although I would not take brutus down to do
it.  I'd test it on one of the other x345s first, assuming there is still
one unused.

Anyhow, give it some thought.  :-)

        --- Noel