Adam R. B. Jack wrote:

This seems (to me) the obvious outcome (although I had to ask).

Can anybody help me with why XERCES depends upon CRIMSON?

    http://brutus.apache.org/gump/jdk15/xml-crimson/xml-crimson/details.html
    http://brutus.apache.org/gump/jdk15/xml-crimson/xml-xerces/details.html

Is this an historical dependency? [Would that I had the resources to answer
my own questions, but then, I'd still rather get human insights to enhance
empirical.]

Because I am evil? ;-)

Ant requires an XML parser. Xerces 2 contained common code (or at least package names) with Xerces 1. The Xerces team routinely used Xerces 1 in their build environment in order to build Xerces 2.

Every once in a while, and completely unbeknownst to the Xerces development team, Xerces 2 would become broken or incomplete, but they would not know it because some aspect of Xerces 1 would "bleed through" the build environment.

Compiling with a non-Xerces compiler allowed such problems to be identified.

- Sam Ruby