I took a look at excalibur-pool-impl which is almost identical (and has
testcases) and it's working ok.  I've just updated the project.xml to
follow it as closely as possible.

I don't think it's a classpath thing because maven ignores the gump
supplied classpath anyway.  So it's down to something in the
project.xml, maven.xml or generated properties.

Anyway - let's give it another run to see if the last change actually
impacts anything.

Steve.