I think I sorted out my local build issues..  It was an aspect of bad
network connectivity causing the merlin-unit unit testing to not download
all the resources it needed.

At this point, I have been able to successfully build ALL the fulcrum
components.

Now, I believe for the gump builds, maven plugins must already be built,
they aren't dynamically built yet, correct?

Eric