>   3) the maven integration is poor and hacky

How much do you actually know about this integration? I don't know that it
is poor, and I believe it is not hacky. Where are you getting your
information?

> But the *most* serious concern is that we seem to have no way to build
> with Maven and, due to excalibur, this is holding up basically 15
> percent of our projects (including, yes, you guessed right, cocoon).
>
> The problem with maven is that I don't know how we can "inject" the
> gump-generated dependency jars into maven.

We are doing it. Clearly you've next to no idea on how this works.

We use the technique that Mavenites told us was appropriate:

http://maven.apache.org/reference/user-guide.html#Overriding_Stated_Dependencies

> Does anybody have an idea? we can't expect excalibur to fix this on
> their own since this is obviously a gump issue, more than an excalibur
> issue.

So what is the problem?

regards,