(sorry for being a little late to the party)

On 2 Nov 2004, at 20:18, Brett Porter wrote:

- projects declare any aliases in their gump descriptor (and Maven
allows that in the POM so it can generate the descriptor for
them). So beanutils-core has an alias of beanutils

I understand the part about projects declaring aliases (we may even need to do that on the artifact level IMHO). I don't understand why Maven needs to know about those at all - other than the Gump plugin, maybe.

I'm thinking of the case where a project name changes, and the aliases are project metadata. I'm not talking about gump names changing - I'm talking about the artifactID changing over time (as was the case with beanutils).

sadly, beanutils is not so simple.

the artifact id had to be changed in any case to fit in with the new artifact naming conventions (or so it appeared at the time that the release was cut) but three artifact ids were always going to be needed: two new ones for the modular jar's with simple dependencies and the old one for the combined jar. the gump descriptors were tested then migrated to commons-beanutils-core (it seemed that no other projects used the classes moved into commons-beanutils-collections).

however, the route of least resistance seems to be for gump to forget that the combined distribution exists and use a alias. in any case, projects should really be migrating to the new modular jar's (they have much simpler dependencies) when they upgrade their dependencies...

- robert