Just to confirm some things here:
- test honours jar overrides as it uses maven.dependency.classpath
- Maven does not introduce any jaxen dependencies normally. However,
if you are using any plugin:* latka:* pmd:* release:* goals it will be
introduced. This is an unfortunate side-effect of not having plugin
classloaders separate - something we desparately want to implement,
but would break a significant number of builds that have come to
depend (no pun intended!) on it.

If you run maven with -X you will see what maven.dependency.classpath
is and whether jaxen has found its way onto there.

I think Maven 1.1 is going to have to take the backwards compat hit
and separate the classloaders. I've already done the work but not
committed it.

- Brett