OK, we got past the ant bootstrap problem. xerces is the new stumbling
block
(http://brutus.apache.org/gump/kaffe/xml-xerces2/xml-xerces/gump_work/build_xml-xerces2_xml-xerces.html)

Since there is no tools.jar and hence no com.sun.tools.javac.Main. Am
adding the following line:
 <sysproperty name="build.compiler" value="jikes"/>

to /home/gump/workspaces2/kaffe/gump/work/merge.xml

Let's see how far we get with that tomorrow.

Thanks,
dims