> You know, we should really investigate using popen...
>
> http://docs.python.org/lib/module-popen2.html

The main reason this is all a mess, and I'm not using the nice/simple posix
functions is I couldn't find a portable (to windows) mechanism to pass
environment (e.g. CLASSPATH) in a thread safe way. Basically it is the
windows side of Python that makes this ugly. That and I've tinkered so many
times that I'm sick of looking at it again! ;-) Let's see how this iteration
takes, and perhaps I'll get inspired to look at it all w/ a 'fresher' pair
of eyes.

regards