On 26-04-2005 06:10, "Adam R. B. Jack" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> In fact, I'd much prefer the xml to be:
>> [...]
>> Or rather:
>>
>>   <project name="a">
>>     <depend project="b">
>>        <output type="jar" id="basic" runtime="true"/>
>>        <output type="jar" id="extension1" runtime="true"/>
>>        <output type="native-lib" id="fancy-feature" optional="true"/>
>>     </depend>
>>   </project>
>
> I'd go for this (although perhaps <artifact not <output)

Yep, probably. Didn't think about it for a whole lot ;)

> and maybe have more
> attributes on the depend element, to avoid repetition (e.g. have runtime
> setable there.)

Uhm, that's another thing I don't really like that much about the current
GOM: there's more than one way to do it. I'd like there to be one way to do
it, and have that be The Right Way. It's easier to explain, easier to code,
easier to maintain.

> That said, I think it really comes down to how much
> complexity we want to allow here, or even ... how much is actually needed by
> users. Let's at least split out these sub-elements, and work on attributes
> in time.

I've been wondering whether its a smart idea to change a whole lot of this
now. I think the Normalizer code and friends shows we can keep the model the
same for now yet develop most of our code the way we see fit. The new model
will fall out, and we'll immediately know what the transformation steps are:
the Normalizer ends up being the conversion step between the old GOM and the
new GOM.

Does that make sense to you?

Of course, I'm now seeing that this is very bad communication-wise, since
you'll have to understand all that ugly xml code in order to understand what
the code does.

Hmm. Maybe we should take it further. I'm thinking here that we should
forget about the xml there and build the example model completely in code.

> BTW: I suspect 'type' ought be on the declaration, not the dependency,
> right? No point duplicating that information, is there?

Yep!

Cheers,

LSD