Leo Simons wrote:

>On 18-07-2005 15:33, "Thomas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>>If I don't get around this cocoon problems I have I'll start a new
>>presentation application (not dyngump) with J2EE and Struts.
>>

>I'll chuck in 2 cents: I don't want "J2EE". Servlets+Struts+other stuff like
>velocity is potentially nice, but please no EJB or JNDI or any of the other
>J2EE stack. Most of it is crap :-)

If i go with struts it will be very simple Servelts+struts thats about
it I hope to be able not use any other framwork for the database
comunication but if I get a lot of protest there from you or other that
works with Gump, I'll use a framwork for that to (Hybernate).

>>like to hear what you have to say, if I missunderstud something with
>>cocoon or if I'm just giving up to easy. But I want to get som results
>>now and I feel that cocoon is one step to big to take at the moment to
>>get where I whant.
>>

>Ok. I'd appreciate if you could go into some more detail (and a little more
>concretely) on what you tried to do with dynagump that you were unable to
>get to, what you tried to get there, and how you figured out what to try,
>etc. That'll be very useful feedback to the cocoon people, and it means you
>won't have "wasted" your time :-)

The thing that I got stuck on with cocoon is when it gets abit more
complicated, create generators and more custome stuff. I have no
problems when it comes to communicating with the database take out rows,
update, add, the basic stuff. The problems comes when I want to do
something with the data that I get.
No problems on presenting the data writing xslt's and generating pages
from xml files. That part I think works porfectly and is the reason why
I whan't to lear more about cocoon. But when you whant to costumize the
webapp abit more like generators I'm lost. The level of knoledge you
need to proceed with that is huge and the tutorials often miss parts
like filenames of files that are created and wich files he is working on
(editing). Small things that is so important when you are new to things
like a compleat framework.
Something concrete is for example you get a value from the database and
you whant to multiply it with another value that you also get from the db.

To me it sounds like I have missed something essential.

If I have missed somthing that makes me go Haha I might go with cocoon
but as it is now cocoon is taking to much time to learn for me to make
some progres before the summer of code is over.

regards

Thomas