Hi Thomas,

On 2011-11-19, Thomas Vandahl wrote:

>> Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: org.slf4j.LoggerFactory could
>> not be successfully initialized. See also
>> http://www.slf4j.org/codes.html#unsuccessfulInit
>>      at org.slf4j.LoggerFactory.getILoggerFactory(LoggerFactory.java:275)
>>      at org.slf4j.LoggerFactory.getLogger(LoggerFactory.java:241)
>>      at org.slf4j.LoggerFactory.getLogger(LoggerFactory.java:254)
>>      at
>> org.quartz.impl.StdSchedulerFactory.<init>(StdSchedulerFactory.java:274)
>>      at
>> org.apache.fulcrum.quartz.impl.QuartzSchedulerImpl.initialize(QuartzSchedulerImpl.java:114)
>>      at
>> org.apache.fulcrum.yaafi.framework.component.AvalonServiceComponentImpl.initialize(AvalonServiceComponentImpl.java:404)
>>      at
>> org.apache.fulcrum.yaafi.framework.component.AvalonServiceComponentImpl.incarnateInstance(AvalonServiceComponentImpl.java:106)
>>      at
>> org.apache.fulcrum.yaafi.framework.component.ServiceComponentImpl.getInstance(ServiceComponentImpl.java:139)
>>      at
>> org.apache.fulcrum.yaafi.framework.component.ServiceComponentImpl.incarnate(ServiceComponentImpl.java:154)
>>      ... 31 more

> Could some kind soul enlighten me, WTF is going on here again?

I'm not sure.  The major difference between a local build and Gump is
the version of dependencies you pull in.  This means you likely get a
more recent version of SLF4J or Quartz than you have asked for and maybe
this newer version needs some additional configuration.

Looking through http://www.slf4j.org/codes.html#unsuccessfulInit and
looking at
http://vmgump.apache.org/gump/public/turbine-fulcrum/fulcrum-quartz-test/gump_work/build_turbine-fulcrum_fulcrum-quartz-test.html
which has a

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/slf4j/impl/StaticLoggerBinder

pretty far at the top of the log it may be a case of a missing binding.

fulcrum-quartz doesn't seem to specifiy a dependency on SLF4J at all, so
you pull it in via a transitive dependency.  You depend on Quartz 2.0.0
whose POM depends on SLF4J but only the api dependency is non-optional.
I don't know for sure how transitive dependendcies work in Maven but
guess you don't inherit the optional slf4j-log4j binding.

If it works for a local build then the most likely reason is some sort
of change in SLF4J that it now requires one of the bindings to be
available and didn't require it in the version you get locally.

> Is this a topic we can fix?

Not sure, it depends on whether you want to take explicit control over
logging (I think you should, but don't know enough about fulcrum or even
fulcrum-quartz) and provide some sort of slf4j binding (as optional
dependency, I guess).  If you don't want to do that then I currently
don't see what you could do.