On 12/08/2021 10:46, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
Many thank for doing this, Mark

On 2021-08-10, Mark Thomas wrote:

Is there a way in Gump to get just some projects to build with a
different JAVA_HOME? Switching just the Tomcat 10.1.x builds to Java
11 is the minimum requirement. We can then take a harder look at the
dependency chains and see what we can do to update versions / trim
things down.

I think it should be possible to allow JAVA_HOME to be overridden on a
project by project basis but I doubt anybody is less rusty WRT Gump's
Python code base than Adam :-)

If the short term solution is to make some Tomcat builds use a different
version of Java then we'd only need to modify the Ant builder. This one
uses self.run.getEnvironment().getJavaCommand() which is what JAVA_HOME
points at. We could add a "java_home" property or something similar to
the model for <ant> (BaseAnt) and calculate the Java command inside of
the Ant builder if this attribute is set. Making a configurable
JAVA_HOME work for Gradle and Maven as well would require a bit more of
work.

I can try to carve out some time for this next week, but I'm afraid you
want a solution more quickly.

Thanks for the offer. Things have moved on a bit and I think we are OK running with Java 11 everywhere. There are still a few things to clean up but it looks doable at this point.

I'm going to chip away at the remaining issues as I get the time. As always, help welcome. I'm expecting this is going to take a few more weeks to sort out. I think there are also some genuine failures in the Tomcat test runs so Java 11 may not be responsible for all the current issues.

Cheers,

Mark