Stack wrote:
On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 9:43 AM, Jeremy Davis <jerda...@speakeasy.net> wrote:
...and I also saw release 0.21 as is with stack as the release manager. Was
there a final decision on this off list?

On the above, I was toying with the idea of being release manager for
releasing as hadoop 0.21.0 what is in current 0.21 hadoop branch but I
subsequently decided against it after chatting with folks and figuring
that the only group that seemed interested in driving a release of the
hadoop 0.21 branch was the hbase crew.  If I were to guess, an hadoop
vouched for by a couple of hbasers with their spotty hdfs and
mapreduce knowledge probably wouldn't have the penetration of a
release backed by, say, a Yahoo.  No one would trust their data to
such a release.  If no data in hadoop 0.21 clusters, hbase wouldn't
have anything to run against.  So I let it go and figured time could
be spent better elsewhere; e.g. helping test the set of patches that
could get us a sync/flush/append on a patched hadoop 0.20 (hdfs-200,
etc.).

Sorry, I should have added a note to cited thread that I'd wandered...

St.Ack

I'm not going to volunteer to help with this as my changes are still not in 0.22, which is what I'm trying to target, but I'd certainly approve of cutting a release if only because - it ensures the release process itself works well. When we were doing releases every fortnight at work, you make sure everything is automated that can be automated. - with 0.22 adding security, I expect its deployment will be traumatic and take longer to roll out than anyone expects - there are lots of improvements in 0.21; getting into a world of backports is complicated. Better to keep momentum up.

The big concern has to be the filesystem. Who out there is willing/able to test 0.21-based filesystems, and what size clusters do they have?

-steve