If I may... why QA need source code branches rather than a sequential builds
from the trunk (as it usually done)? Say:
 - build qa1 is cut
 - QA works on it and finds issues
 - issues are reported against build qa1
 - dev fixes some issues and mark them appropriately
 - build qa2 is cut
 - QA verifies that all issues from qa1 marked as 'fixed in qa2' are fixed and
   keep going with their usual cycle.

Is there anything wrong with that model? It also eliminates the need to
maintain two branches at the same time.

Cos