On Oct 21, 2010, at 2:53 PM, Ian Holsman wrote:

> yep.. I've heard it's a source of contention...

        Sure. Maybe like 8 months ago to anyone who was paying attention.

> In discussing it with people, I've heard that a major issue (not the only
> one i'm sure) is lack of resources to actually test the apache releases on
> large clusters, and
>
> So I thought I would start the thread to see if we could at least identify
> what the people think are the problems are.

        I think you've asked the wrong question to begin with and I think the
discussion you've started is going to be completely counter productive and put
everyone on the defensive.  [It is pretty clear it already has.]   The team is
finally making progress towards a common goal (0.22) and (mostly) getting
along.

        This question/issue

>  that it is very hard getting this done in short cycles
> (hence the large gap between 20.x and 21).

        is really the cruxt of the problem.

        We wouldn't have had major diversions between the distributions if the
mainline Apache distribution had been making more frequent releases.   IMNSHO,
as long as the distributions don't break compatibility (forward or backward) in
without a word of warning... who cares?