On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 1:31 PM, Owen O'Malley <omal...@apache.org> wrote:

> On May 3, 2011, at 9:35 AM, Eli Collins wrote:
>
>> Do all changes for 0.20.2xx release go through branch-0.20-security,
>> then get merged to a particular -2xx branch?
>
> I've discussed this before on the lists,  but here goes:

Thanks.  I should have mentioned that I followed the thread below but
it was not clear that eg all changes have to go through -security to
ensure a -20(n+1) branch has the changes from -20n.

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/hadoop-common-dev/201103.mbox/%3ce59d9a63-cc4f-4e00-97c0-b11c84c23...@apache.org%3E

> branch-0.20-security is the major branch and all changes need to be committed
> to it.

Thanks for clarifying.

> The branches off of branch-0.20-security, namely branch-0.20-security-203 and
> branch-0.20-security-204 are the minor branches, which are branched off of
> branch-0.20-security every month or two. Within a minor branch there are only
> bug fixes.

Why the new branches instead of releasing from branch-0.20-security
the way previous release branches (eg branch-0.20) have worked?

> So this release, we are trying to get out the door is 0.20.203.0. A bug fix
> to it would go into 0.20.203.1. New features like disk fail in place go into
> 0.20.204.0.

Shouldn't new features go to trunk and then the next minor release?

According to the project's current version scheme
(http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Roadmap eg major.minor.point), a point
release (eg the 203 in 0.20.203) "do not introduce new features or
make other improvements other than fixing bugs."

Is this a proposal to make branch-0.20-security a feature branch that
does releases, and the new version number is necessary to allow for
new features?  Doesn't this allow for releases from
branch-0.20-security and trunk to diverge in terms of feature set?

I think people would prefer we spend our energy putting new features
(not yet in trunk) in trunk so we don't create divergent releases.
Creating a new branch for new features seems like it will prolong our
current situation.

>> Why is there a new 4th component to the version number?
>
> The problem is that we need minor versions and there isn't space in the
> current scheme. It would probably be clearer, if we called this release 1.0.
> Then this looks like:
>
> branch-1
> branch-1.0
> branch-1.1
>
> with point releases off of it. When I floated the idea of using 1.0 last
> time, there was more consensus around using the 0.20.20X.Y naming.

I remember there being resistance to calling it 1.0 but I don't
remember consensus on a new feature branch or 4 part version scheme.

Not sure mirroring the YDH version numbers is what's most sense for an
Apache release:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_l/5560919873/in/set-72157626356732562
Arun's proposal of using 0.20.100 seemed more logical.

>> I noticed a 0.20.205.0 fix version showed up recently.  Where's the
>> branch for that?
>
> It hasn't branched yet, but it will come off of branch-0.20-security.

So a fix for 0.20.205.0 (like any fix for a version not yet branched)
only gets checked into branch-0.20-security. Makes sense.

Thanks for the clarifications.

Thanks,
Eli