If the board does have a stance, I'd love to hear it.  That could usefully end
this discussion.

Absent that, it seems reasonable for the PMC to make a decision in this area.
Each project has different use cases and ecosystems, so it may not be
reasonable to expect a one size fits all solution.  I see no reason not to make
a local proposal, the board can always clarify.