On 6/17/11 11:50 PM, "Eric Baldeschwieler" <eri...@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:

>Producing a stable release of Hadoop is a long, hard and expensive
>process.  Historically Y! has produced all such releases.  Other releases
>of Hadoop have either not been stable (Hadoop 0.19 and Hadoop 0.21)

You lost me there.  Enough Y! Chest pounding.  Your contributions are
large and important, but not every release not tested by Y! is destined
for failure.

0.19.x eventually was stable and an improvement over 0.18.x in several
critical ways (I used it in production for a year and relied on several
new features).
0.19.0 was broken, append needed to be disabled, etc.  But by the end
after testing in the community, (by research institutions and smaller
corporations) and some bug fix releases it became stable.