Following up with Hadoop Common mavenization (HADOOP-6671) I've just posted
a patch for HDFS mavenization (HDFS-2096)

The HADOOP-6671 patch integrates all feedback received in the JIRA and, IMO,
it is ready for prime time.

In order not break HDFS and MAPRED which are still Ant based, there are 2
patches HDFS-2196 & MAPREDUCE-2741that make some corrections in the ivy
configuration to work correctly with the Hadoop common JAR (build/published
by Mavenized build).

HDFS-2096 is not 100% ready, some testcases are failing and native code
testing is not wired, but everything else (compile, test, package, tar,
binary, jdiff, etc is wired).

* https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-6671
* https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HDFS-2196
* https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAPREDUCE-2741
* https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HDFS-2096

I know these are big changes and we'll have some hiccups, but the benefits
are big (running testcases is faster, it easily works from IDEs, Maven build
system can easily be understood by anybody that knows Maven).

Keeping the patches current is time-consuming, because of this, it would be
great if we can get in the ones ready (HADOOP-6671, HDFS-2196,
MAPREDUCE-2741) so we can focus on the rest of the Mavenization work.

Thanks.

Alejandro