Hi Milind,

I'd expect to see continued sustaining on the 20 branch until 23 is stable.
Continued bug fixing beyond that if there is need / enthusiasm for such fixes
would also seem reasonable. This has certainly been the expect behavior of
other released software I've contributed to.

If we want to see apache hadoop widely adopted, it is critical that folks not
only volunteer new features, but that someone continue to refine working
releases.  I see nothing but upside to this.  If others want to only volunteer
new code for trunk or want to work on other releases, that's ok by me.

I don't believe this is a zero sum game.  Any investment I put into 0.20
doesn't block you from putting work into 22 or 23.  We're aligned in the goal
of getting 23 and future trunk based releases out.  Asking someone not to do
sustaining will not cause them to work faster on other releases, it will just
move work out of apache. I don't see how that benefits the community.  If the
sustaining work is badly done or does not add value, it can be voted down.

Thanks,

E14