I've created a release candidate for hadoop-0.23.1 that I would like to release.

It is available at: http://people.apache.org/~acmurthy/hadoop-0.23.1-rc0/

Some highlights:
# Since hadoop-0.23.0 in November there has been significant progress in
branch-0.23 with nearly 400 jiras committed to it (68 in Common, 78 in HDFS and
242 in MapReduce).
# An important aspect is that we've done a lot of performance related work and
hadoop-0.23.1 matches or exceeds performance of hadoop-1 in pretty much every
aspect of HDFS & MapReduce.
# Also, several downstream projects (HBase, Pig, Oozie, Hive etc.)  seem to be
playing nicely with hadoop-0.23.1.

Please try the release and vote; the vote will run for the usual 7 days.

thanks,
Arun

--
Arun C. Murthy