(moving to infrastructure@, where this is more relevant. Thread at
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=106146999500001&r=1&w=2)

On Thu, Aug 21, 2003 at 01:36:35PM -0400, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Jeff,
>
> Jeff Turner wrote:
> > I volunteer :)  Hacking JIRA is my day job.
>
> I think it would be helpful to have a discussion and consensus on which
> issue tracking tool should be adopted, and why, but it ought to be ASF-wide.
> I don't believe that it makes sense for us to use multiple tools in the same
> space.

Consensus across the entire ASF?  I suppose it is possible, but
demonstrably not with Bugzilla, and IMHO not with Scarab.

Consensus amongst the poor suckers responsible for long-term maintenance
would be more viable and more interesting.

For a start, has anyone investigated whether Scarab scales to handle the
quantity of issues Bugzilla is currently handling?  JIRA has a Bugzilla
importer, so that's one of the things I'd like to investigate with a
pilot install.

> Personally, I think that one criteria (but only one) ought to be having
> people eager and available to maintain whatever tool is adopted.

Yes.  It's no good me or any one person promising to be here in 5 years
time.  There has to be a pool of users sufficiently interested and
empowered to be able to become administrators.

I think the 'empowered' part is where Bugzilla falls down.  I don't know
about Scarab, but JIRA administration is mostly done through the web
interface.  Project-specific admins can be specified, who are allowed to
create new versions/components for their project.

--Jeff