Alex and Brian,

Regarding the relationship between RDBMS and LDAP...

I believe this document says why RDBMS is wrong for LDAP:

On the other hand IBM have implemented LDAP in DB2. See:

http://www.research.ibm.com/journal/sj/392/shi.html

Since reading that I have got quite carried away designing
and implementing heirarchical structures in RDBMS's.
Mainly designing actually, but the demo referenced from
my signature below implements heirarchical categories
of contacts using the same principles.

I understand this project is not just about the protocol but
about the directory. It seems to me that it is very valuable
to have a single DBMS that supports both relational and
heirarchical structures as efficiently as possible. (In fact
I would suggest not just heirarchies but directed graphs.
I.e. a child can have one or more parents.)

If the IBM way (that I adapted) turns out to be one of the
best (following project design) then one thing that is important
is that you can efficiently add, remove and traverse nodes
in a tree represented by lots of small RDB records.
This becomes important for deep heirarchies. I guess
stored procedures might help in an standard RDBMS.

I might be interested in getting involved.

Regards,

Jim Wright

--
Recently completed - Child Brain Injury Trust Admin System
http://cbitdemo.paneris.org/

Urgently seeking paid work
Java, Linux, XML and much more.
http://be.webz.cz/