On Thursday, September 18, 2003, at 09:17 AM, Sander Striker wrote:

From: Jim Jagielski [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, September 18, 2003 3:07 PM

I really hate to keep harping on this, but the whole
idea of the PMC Chair having "power" somehow implies that
the PMC itself is under the "whim" of the Chair. Yes, the
chair has the ultimate responsibility for the PMC, since
the board has delegated their authority to him/her. Yet
the PMC would gripe and complain if the board "told them"
how to operate. If people are looking for some
PMC Chair authority figure to "do things" for them so
they can follow lemming-like wherever he/she says, then
I'm glad I'm resigning as chair, because that's not
*my* vision. And it's certainly not been my experience
with any other PMC I've been on.

This was exactly why I asked. I was wondering what "powers" people see that a Chair has that are so important others need them too.

IMO, a Chair that puts himself above the rest of the PMC is
doing a poor job.  It's more about serving and responsibility
than being in control.

Agreed 100% and I know that's what you were saying. I quoted the whole message to give the full flavor and not to imply anything else. It wasn't in response to your message, but more a follow-on :)