Noel J. Bergman wrote:

I think that you are raising an orthogonal issue.  You are talking about
wanting to be able to keep up with the ASF more easily and effectively.  I
don't disagree with you, but I don't think that it is any easier to locate
content on one massive web site with tons of large sub-projects.  As we
develop better tools to communicate, perhaps it would help to have RSS feeds
such that you could customize an RSS aggregator to track those feeds that
you care about.

I agree, that this topic *can* be ortogonal. However, currently it isn't, as you well know. The various Apache sites are related as much as the various sf.net projects - perhaps there is a link to another project, perhaps not. In fact, sf.net has a little bit better guidance through categorization and foundries, Apache hash none, at least not between TLP's.

I would still like to remind you that "anything top level" is not a good answer. I can hardly imagine that the U.S. could be ruled by a goverment of town mayors. This is not only from the users view. For example, by bundling subprojects you will better be able to find a common direction, because they will necessarily have some sense of "I better find an agreement with my next neigbours". For example, guess such silly examples as the choice of a logging tool. In a TLP like db.apache.org, you will most probably find an answer between subprojects. Within various TLP's you will find none, even if it were the same projects, just because they have no relationship.

A word quite frequently used here is "community". Don't you think that the communities of jakarta, db, or xml are worth being kept? They would not even exist if anything were a top level project.

Jochen