I don't know if we want to tackle this at the same time as Steven's document on entering the incubator, but at the moment I"m more focused on how to get podlings out of the incubator rather than getting them in.

A while ago I proposed some exit criteria for XML beans -- I haven't pushed them because we were waiting to get the CLA situation straightened out. Now that that's done and the code is in CVS, I want to revisit these. I've also added some items that Roy added to the XMLBeans STATUS file in the incubator CVS.

There are a few XML beans specific items in this list, but I'd like to propose that we start a discussion of exit criteria based on this list.

Legal (these should be done before code comes into the incubator, but I'm including them for completeness)
All code ASL'ed
No non ASL or ASL compatbile dependencies in the code base
License grant complate
CLAs on file.
Check of project name for trademark issues

Meritocracy / Community
Demonstrate an active and diverse development community
No single organization supplies more than 50% of the active committers (must be at least 3 independent committers)
The above implies that new committers are admitted according to ASF practices
ASF style voting has been adopted and is standard practice
Demonstrate ability to tolerate and resolve conflict within the community.
Release plans are developed and excuted in public by the community. (requriment on minimum number of such releases?) Engagement by the XMLbeans community with the XML PMC and other ASF sub communities, particularly infrastructure@ (this reflects my personal bias that projects should pay an infrastructure "tax").
Incubator PMC has voted for graduation
XML PMC has voted for final acceptance

Alignment / Synergy
Replacement of LGPL Piccolo parser with Xerces.
Develop synergistic relationship with JaxMe in WS-Commons, also perhaps with Axis.
Use of any relevant Jakarta subprojects.

Infrastructure
  project CVS has been created
  project mailing lists have been created
  project mailing lists are being archived
  project bugzilla has been created.
  project has a subsite of xml.apache.org
  project complies with ASF mirroring guidlines
  project is integrated with Gump
  XMLBeans developers tied into ASF PGP web of trust
  Releases are PGP signed by a member of the community

Ted