Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Committers could be given commit access long before having project
> member status, and would thus be able to commit but not vote. This
> makes it possible to keep a high bar for membership of the project but
> a lower bar for committing.
>
> Is this possible/wanted?

As I understand it, this was the initial structure.  A Contributor posts a
patch, the patch is reviewed and committed.  At some point, a frequent
Contributor is offered the opportunity to become a Committer.  The Committer
is allowed to commit a change, but the PMC is still responsible to review
the commit.  At some point, hopefully not too far down the pike, the
Committer is voted into the PMC.  Until that happens, the Committer does not
have a binding vote.  Cannot have a binding vote, because to have one
outside of the legal structure would expose the Committer.

Leo Simons wrote:
> I think I don't like it. If you're committing, you're doing the work.
> If you're doing the work, you should have a say in everything that
> concerns your work (meritocracy).

Because the PMC is responsible for reviewing every change (and because we
have SCM), it allows someone to be granted commit karma before they have
earned sufficient trust to be entrusted with managing the project.  If you
have an active newcomer, the process can be significantly hampered by having
to go through e-mailed patches, so you can grant commit karma to streamline
the process, without having to go straight to PMC status.

This is a simple structure.  It  simplifies a lot of the various sets of
rules and interactions, and it explains some of the oddities present in our
current conflicting rule sets.  My understanding is that this is the way
that the ASF was designed to work, but things got bent during expansion.
Ironically, the original "rules" scale better, since the PMC oversight
requirement cannot be removed.

        --- Noel