Now that we have PPMCs, I am in the process of updating our policy document.

http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html

In particular, we have decided that not all PMC members have to be on every PPMC, but just ones that want to help out, that are thus Mentors.

This brings us to a potential oversight issue.

Let's assume that a project gets accepted and that the PPMC is thus formed. If being on the PPMC is not compulsory for PMC members, then we may assume that nobody goes there, or that if someone does, he may not be there after some time, and the PMC doesn't know it.

The current mechanism assumes that designated Mentors are the ones that have decided to be there, and we may assume that is there are enough Mentors, they will be there or tell us that they cannot do it anymore.

If we don't have explicit Mentors... how does it work?

MHO is that we don't remove the Mentors as designated now, but that in the same time we don't prevent anyone from "mentoring" the project without having to necessarily be listed as Mentors. If PMC members want to be listed, they just list themselves on the project's index page, nothing asked.

Does this make sense?

            - verba volant, scripta manent -