Noel J. Bergman wrote:
So please explain why we should have a incubator release while there are still
so many questions regarding the viability of the community?

IMHO lenya making this release (according to the rules set for it) is part of an ongoing effort by lenya to make the community more "viable".

I will assert as well that even for a project whose incubation would ultimately fail (not that lenya will fail), that does not mean they should not be allowed to put out a release. "Release early, release often" is a good mantra.

> but I'm still trying to
understand why there is a need to put out a distribution rather than put all
of the energy into helping Lenya conclude incubation and then release.

so people can download it :-D

Given the number of questions and misconceptions, I do not think lenya is quite ready for exit, and may not be for a while. For projects to grow and development to continue, something easily downloadable is important.

I believe the Lenya peeps understand that all this is not an optimal situation, are working to change that, and in the meantime are adhering (for this release) to the rules and guidelines that have been set.

cheers,

- Leo